Saturday, May 21, 2011

Chic Peep checks in: Electric car chargers at mall! « Philosopher Mouse of the Hedge

Chic Peep was almost breathless with excitement. "Can you believe it? Malls and charging – the two just obviously go together!  Finally, something useful for us jet-setters that want to show up green. (Anyone should know we are concerned with global warming thing, too.  I mean if all the snow melts where would I ski?)

Anyway, the Department of Energy is getting them to put electric car recharging stations in places we can actually use: malls, and restaurants (well, I won't be going to that one at Cracker Barrel – that's a little, too…well, I just wouldn't fit in…it would be dreary). But the first one is already installed at the Florida Mall in Orlando. (Every time I hear the name of that town, I just think disco and Tony - so quaint, that Staying Alive  -  Saturday Night Fever  era. You actually lived that, right?)  Anyway, another charging station is going in the Stanford Shopping Mall in Palo Alto, California. Now I guess the ones coming to the Best Buy stores are reasonable. But the ones ECOtality is putting in at BP gas stations (BP? – Wasn't there some big deal in the news about them last year?) and ARCO gas stations.  Gas stations – is that, like, ironic?  Well, I guess people just have habits (people tell me those are hard to break) and drive in there without thinking.  Still, silly! Electric cars in a gas station!

But I do have to confess, I just don't get having one at Harv's Car Wash in Sacramento or the Cherry Hill Park campground in College Park Md. Did I miss the tweet? Are Paris Hilton and Nicole doing that reality show again?  What kind of stunt will they have to do to pay for the "quick" 3-4 hour recharge?  I'm sure it will be a hoot.  A car wash?  A campground? Oh those reality show producers are just so clever – think of the possibilities!  I am giggling already…I simply must tweet them!"

"Hang on a minute, my latte is ready…OK, thanks…sure, you can have a picture with me. Say chic!"

"OK I'm back.  Starbucks wants them, too.  What?  Charging stations, silly. Not Paris and Nicole!  This is just sooo cool the government is finally doing something for us.  And everyone says there isn't any money!  Well, there's always money for things that are important!  I hear Houston – tell me, why anyone would want to go there?  They don't even have a space shuttle – anyway, Texas is one of the 16 major cities and 6 states getting infrastructure for electric cars. The Department of Energy is handing out about $115 million. (with maybe some help from "private investors"….hmmmm, like the energy providers and product manufacturers?  My brain isn't total mush.) Also there's the ChargePoint America program for homes and businesses:  another Department of Energy grant of $15 million.  Honestly, you know most of it comes from those willing American taxpayers who are sooooo eager to help big companies make a lot of money.  I bet the 350Green designs company that builds and operates the EV stations is just beside themselves!  It is so sweet who they picked for the charging station projects:  3M headquarters in Minnesota, along with all those little people in Chicago just trying to be green, and even Pittsburg. Pittsburg!  You can't say there's any snobbery or political stuff involved here! See, it just is so considerate of them to help people – to give them something they really need. Once again, I've always said, there's always money for the important things!

Now, Phil, I know you worry.  I haven't bought an electric car, yet.  Although have you seen the Tesla electric model S?  Outstanding.  Hey, you love nostalgia.  Did you check out that video of a drag racing electric VW Beetle? Did you hear me?  It does a blistering quarter-mile!  An electric car!  There is hope! But, seriously, why would I buy one?  Some people are leasing them. (Maybe smart since no one really knows how long their battery will hold up or what replacement battery costs will be – and car companies are begin pretty evasive on those subjects.)  But I wouldn't even do that.  I'm sure Tesla needs some celebrity endorsement.  I'll have my agent call.  Ooopsie.  There's Paris calling.  Ciao."

And just like that, she's gone.  Chic Peep's reality. Totally amused, Phil, the Philosopher Mouse of the Hedge Share Email Facebook Print Digg Reddit StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment