The stats suggest that there are 1.4 billion people in the world living in extreme poverty, and those living in poverty in the UK spend £1 a day to survive – this £1 doesn't just include food and drink. With that in mind I was tempted to take the challenge.
My friend did it. She grabbed the challenge by the horns and slapped it in the face. Between 2-6 May she ate repetitive meals, got slightly moody and very hungry. On the first day she forgot her lunch and found a giant 30p bread roll within her challenge budget.
"It was quite an eye opener. You hear about poverty all the time but it's very different when you physically feel the pain of hunger." – Kathy Alys
She achieved so much in five days and it really changed what she thought about poverty. I'm very proud of her, so proud that I've decided to take up the challenge myself and I'm dragging my flatmate with me.
We would really love it if you can support us by making a donation or writing words of encouragement on our pages, and believe me we're going to need it. My page is: my.livebelowtheline.co.uk/lanieamy.
The money we raise will go to the Salvation Army International Development UK (SAID UK). We picked this charity because we thought they were more active in educating those in poverty to lift themselves out of poverty.
Amy is starting her challenge on Sunday (tomorrow) and I will be starting mine on Monday. I'm planning on giving daily hunger updates so watch this space or subscribe to my blog. Meanwhile, be prepared for some mood swings.
So for now, good luck Amy, and thank you Kathy. Facebook
No comments:
Post a Comment